The new ARRI Ultra Wide Zoom UWZ 9.5-18/T2.9 is the first super wide-angle zoom lens for the professional cine market. With an unusually accommodating image circle of 34.5 mm, the UWZ has been designed for both existing and future generations of large-sensor digital cameras, incorporating patented, cutting-edge lens technologies that overcome known problems with previous wide-angle zooms. The optical performance of this new telecentric design is comparable to, or even exceeds, that of high-end wide-angle prime lenses. For maximum flexibility and cost efficiency on set, the UWZ can easily replace a complete range of wide-angle primes.
Optimized for the requirements of VFX applications, the UWZ is ideal for plate shots or any other situation where maximum image quality is vital. Distortion is at a level of less than 1% at 9.5 mm and less than 0.1% at 18 mm, which means that straight lines stay straight, even at close focus. Due to a new multilayer, anti-reflective coating, flare and veiling glare are reduced to an absolute minimum. The near telecentric optical design means that the UWZ has a highly uniform field illumination, from the center to the very corners of the image. Built-in ARRI Lens Data System (LDS) functionality provides precise lens metadata for zoom, focus and aperture settings, smoothing postproduction workflows.
- Future-proof image circle of 34.5 mm for large sensor cameras
- Zoom index marker
- Very low image distortion, even at 9.5 mm
- Virtually no image breathing
- Uniform field illumination, even at close focus
- Fixed entrance pupil position over the entire zoom range
- Built-in lens support
- LDS for lens metadata in VFX applications
- Exchangeable matte box interfaces (dia. 134 mm and 156 mm)
- Matches other ARRI/FUJINON and ARRI/ZEISS lenses
- Available in ARRI PL-LDS or Canon EF mount